Oh, hi there! My name is Sarah. Nice to meet you. I’m a writer and digital communications specialist based in Vancouver.
The Personal Stuff
In addition to my day job as a digital communications specialist, I’m also an introvert, a sports fan, a coffee-drinker, an anglophile and a musician.
- Introvert: I like to say that I’m a high-functioning introvert—I love people, especially laughing with people! But I also need a solid amount of time to recharge by not talking to people.
- Sports fan: I’m not particularly athletic and am terrible at playing sports but I absolutely love to watch them. I grew up in Edmonton and am a diehard Oilers fan. I actually believe they will make the playoffs one day and I’ll get to tell everyone,“I told you so.” I’m also a fan of the Seahawks, own an L.A. Dodgers baseball cap and will happily jump on whatever NBA playoff bandwagon is the most popular. Lately I’ve been getting into soccer, but my Premiere League loyalties are still up for grabs.
- Coffee Drinker: Like most girls on the internet I love coffee. Some nights as I’m lying in bed trying to fall asleep I get excited thinking about the cup of coffee I get to drink in the morning. My current favourite blend is JJ Bean Eastside.
- Anglophile: British television/history/humour/people are my favourite. I will watch nearly anything the BBC produces. Reading about the British royals is one of my guilty pleasures. Picking up and moving to England is one of my life dreams.
- Musician: Music has been a part of my life since I was quite small. I started taking piano lessons at the age of five, learning classical Royal Conservatory all the way up until high school, when I discovered jazz. I went to music school for three years and earned diplomas in jazz piano performance and composition. When I’m not working or watching British television, I play the piano and sing in a band.
- Other: I like to make lists, I watch Jeopardy every day and my favourite colour is purple.
The Bloggy Stuff
sarahmiller dot ca— The blog started in the fall of 2006 when I packed up my trusty 1992 Honda Civic and moved out to the West Coast for school. Blogging started out as a way to chronicle my adventures for friends and family back home. I kept up writing faithfully in this space for eight years, then briefly transitioned it to a freelance communications portfolio before bringing it back around to a plain ol’ blog. With a real job and a real life it’s tough to be super consistent in this space, but I love writing and I always come back eventually.
The Professional Stuff
I saved this until the very end because it’s both boring and important. I have a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication from Simon Fraser University and Diplomas in Music Performance and Music Composition from Grant MacEwan College. I’ve been working as a Digital Communications Coordinator for a local non-profit for the last two years. If you’re interested in a full list of my experience you can check me out on LinkedIn… but I’ll know because LinkedIn is creepy like that.