Hello! Nice to meet you. I’m a writer and communications specialist based in Vancouver.
The Personal Stuff
- I’m a high-functioning introvert—I love people a lot and if you don’t know me well you might even be fooled into thinking I’m an extrovert. But I need a solid amount of time to recharge and process by myself, and don’t even think about trying to talk to me if I’m writing or concentrating on something.
- I grew up in Edmonton and am a diehard Oilers fan. I spend equal amounts of time cheering them on and being completely exasperated by them.
- British television/history/people/comedy/ are my favourite. London is the best place on earth to visit and I sometimes daydream about picking up and moving there.
- Music has been a part of my life since I was a child. I started taking classical piano lessons at the age of five, and continued learning to play Bach and Beethoven through high school, where I first learned that you could play piano in a band with other people. That discovery led to three years of music college and diplomas in jazz piano performance and composition.
- Em dashes are my favourite punctuation and I’m passionate about eliminating corporate jargon.
The Bloggy Stuff
sarahmiller dot ca the blog started in the fall of 2006 when I packed up my trusty 1992 Honda Civic and moved out to the West Coast for school. Blogging started out as a way to chronicle my adventures for friends and family back home. I kept up writing faithfully in this space for eight years, then briefly transitioned it to a freelance communications portfolio before bringing it back around to a plain ol’ blog again. With a real job and a real life it’s tough to be super consistent in this space. But I love writing and I always come back eventually.
The Professional Stuff
With over ten years of experience working in communications, I’ve done a bit of everything in the field. My specialities are writing, content strategy, and internal communications, and I currently work in internal communications for an electric utility here in Vancouver. My education includes a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication from Simon Fraser University and Diplomas in Music Performance and Music Composition from Grant MacEwan College. If you’re interested in a full list of my experience, you can check me out on LinkedIn.